Saturday, March 17, 2012

Celtic Blessings

I was looking for some toasts or salutations for use in my current book and found these.  They say so much in so few words, especially the fisherman's prayer.


A Celtic grace:
May the roof above
never fall in.
May we below
never fall out.

A Celtic Blessing:
May you have -
Walls for the wind
And a roof for the rain,
And drinks bedside the fire
Laughter to cheer you
And those you love near you,
And all that your heart may desire

An Old Wedding Blessing:
May God be with you and bless you.
May you see your children's children.
May you be poor in misfortune, rich in blessings.
May you know nothing but happiness
From  this day forward

Fisherman’s prayer:
Dear God, be good to me;
The sea is so wide,
And my boat is so small.

Old English Blessing:
 May your joys be as sweet as spring flowers that grow.
As bright as a fire when winter winds blow,
As countless as leaves that float down in the fall,
As serene as the love that keeps watch over us all.

 Armenian blessing:
 May their joys be as deep as the ocean
And their misfortunes as light as the foam.






Jane Jackson.

6 comments:

Elizabeth Hawksley said...

I love these blessings, Jane. They deal with what is really important in life and cut out the dross.

Jane Jackson said...

Thanks, Elizabeth. The fisherman's prayer in particular moved me. A lobster fisherman from our village was lost at sea. He was in his early 30s and left a young wife and two baby daughters.

The wedding wishes say it all.

Anonymous said...

I thought you had listed one I knew, often sung by the Reading Phoenix Choir. But when I checked, theirs is slightly different. Here it is:

An Irish Blessing

May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face
The rain fall soft upon your fields
And until we meet again
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

The choir is one of the best amateur choirs I've ever heard and I do recommend their CDs. You can find them through the choir's website here http://www.readingphoenix.org.uk/rpc/public/home.asp

And no, I've never been a member and I have no financial interest. I'm just a lover of wonderful choral singing.

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

beautiful!
i posted the celtic blessing for teatime in Killarney in honour of st pat's day ")
thx for posting these ...

Jane Jackson said...

Thanks, Joanna. I know the Irish one and think it's absolutely beautiful. Thanks too for the info about the choir.

Jane Jackson said...

I'm glad you liked them, Faith. It's lovely to share something and find it strikes a chord with others.